Friday 27 April 2007


Chip Story

One time, when I was little, I went round to my friend Ginny's for tea, after school. I remember sitting at a small table, round the corner from the kitchen, just us two. We were having chips, and, unexpectedly, Ginny stuck two chips up her nose. I can still visualize it. I felt completely traumatized. I can't remember anything else about the visit, except the dark of the hallway and that Ginny wore skinny tight black jeans.
..........................................................................................

Poke of Chips

You don't get 'pokes' in London. I remember them in Penicuik (but I don't remember ever eating any chips). I just remember hanging around outside Penny Chip Shop. It was newly opened, big, bright and exciting. I don't know what I was doing there; I must have been too young to be supposed to go there, on my own, hanging around on the corner. I remember talk about the Casuals; which boy was a casual, and so on.
*Pokes are a kind of cone shape of paper to put the chips in
..........................................................................................

Regional Specialities/Variations

Penicuik: Poke
Irn Bru
Deep-fried battered Scotch Pies (mutton, round, flat, straight sides, hole in the middle)
Winchester: Pea Fritters
Bradford: Bag of Scraps - bits of batter that have fallen off (Given away free)
Fish cakes - made with thin slice of potato, little fish, another slice of potato, squashed, battered then fried
Never peas
No skin on fish

No comments: